Annons:
Taghomesteading
Read 2166 times
Tammie
2018-09-29 19:34

Family of 7 Living Completely Off-Grid

This cost of housing is what drives up the cost of living. If you can find a way to keep the cost of housing down you can have more fun doing the things you want in life. Especially, when one is nearing retirement age it can be beneficial to live small.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Annons:
Niklas
2018-10-01 11:45

I find living like that very interesting. I would like to have a bit of land that I could lend to people who wanted to build their own houses off grid, but I not know if that would be permitted. :-) Their house was way too dark for my taste. I would have painted much of the inside white and not cover windows with shelves. Light is important. They homeschooled the kids. There is nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn’t want my children homeschooled unless they had lots of friends nearby. I think company outside of the family is very important.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2018-10-01 21:30

#1 I agree with that last point you had there Niklas.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Niklas
2018-10-02 10:41

I wouldn’t trust myself and my wife to provide all the different perspectives you need growing up. Children needs challenges and varying viewpoints or they will have difficulty if they decide to go out and live in the “real” world, I think.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2018-10-02 18:03

I couldn't imagine life without school, growing up around other people with different cultures is really important I think.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Tammie
2018-10-04 06:23

I agree with your point about homeschooling children and it being necessary to have lots of friends nearby. Homeschooling done the right way can put your children intellectually way beyond their peers. There is really something about using every day life as teaching tools and giving children tactile experiences that put them ahead. On one occasion when my children were young we needed to go to Sweden for a visit in the early fall. So, we had to seek approval from the school district to have them miss the first three or four weeks of school that year. It was very difficult to get the approval. We had to take homeschooling homework for them to do on the trip. And the children had to be tested when they got back. The implication was that if they didn’t test well enough they possibly may have to go back a grade that they had previously passed. Just because they missed the beginning of the school year. We used every possible moment of that trip as teaching experiences. They did complete some of the homework but not as much as they were supposed to. We just didn’t have the time. However, they excelled on the tests when we returned. One teacher asked what we did differently for them to be testing so high? I said we used life experiences continually during the entire trip. Doing less paperwork but using every experience as a teachable moment. I think that is the way it used to be on farms. Children were taught survival skills and how to fix things that broke. I also agree that white paint and as much light as possible in small area would look way better.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Niklas
2018-10-04 08:14

#5: Interesting! I'm not surprised, but it was good to hear a real-life example of how efficient (home) schooling can be. My wife is a teacher and works in a school for children with autism, ADHD, etc. For them, it's important that every moment of teaching counts since they often have difficulty staying focused for longer periods. Therefore they plan the lessons and exercises so that they tick as many knowledge goals as possible. A typical class exercise can include several school subjects, like math, geography, biology, languages and domestic science. It takes a lot more planning for teachers but means that students learn more in a shorter time. That kind of schooling would have suited me ideally and sounds much more fun. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Tammie
2018-10-05 06:19

I agree with you. I really think it is better to tick off more boxes and teach for less "time"! 🙂

Happy creating!

Tammie

Scroll to top
Annons: