Annons:
Tag:ย tools-for-homesteading
Read 2612 times
Tammie
2018-08-06 06:19

Identifying Old Cast Iron Skillets

Every Homesteader needs come good cast iron skillets. Some old cast iron skillets can be quite valuable. Older cast iron skillets are lighter in weight and have a smoother cooking surface than the newer cast iron skillets that you can find today. I recently started educating myself on how to ID good cast iron skillets. This video is extremely helpful.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Annons:
Niklas
2018-08-07 19:42

Like you say, there are many heavy cast iron skillets being sold today, but there are some that have been manufactured differently to be lighter. They should not be used on max heat though.

I think this is the one we have, but there are other brands than Ronneby Bruk.

ยป Ronneby Bruk 162600 40 x 26 x 7 cm Light Weight Cast Iron Fry Pan

Best regards, Niklas ๐ŸŽˆ

Tammie
2018-08-09 03:21

That looks like a good one and it says it can even be used on induction burners.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Tammie
2018-08-12 18:29
Image 1. Click to open in original size.
Preview of image 1 of 4
Preview of image 2 of 4
Preview of image 3 of 4
Preview of image 4 of 4

I decided to look for some old frying pans at garage sales. I thought it would take a long time to find what I wanted. I went to only a few garage sales and found nothing but then I just happened to be at a very dear friends home and was telling him about my search for old cast iron skillets. He said โ€œI think I have some old ones and you can pick one of them if you would like.โ€ So, he went and got four old skillets and I was so surprised that one was a Griffith made in Erie Pennsylvania! He thinks it was his Grandfathers since his Grandfather owned some restaurants. He gave me this beautiful old family heirloom. It is a bit rusty but I can polish it up in no time!

Happy creating!

Tammie

Niklas
2018-08-12 20:44

Good! Don't forget to season it when you have scrubbed off the rust.

Tammie
2018-08-13 08:57

Yes, I look forward to seasoning it. Scrubbing rust off is probably not as fun!Smile

Happy creating!

Tammie

Niklas
2018-08-13 09:20

You can try pouring vinegar into the pan and leave it overnight. I think it would make it easier to clean.

Annons:
Tammie
2018-08-13 15:34

That is great idea!

Smile

Happy creating!

Tammie

Niklas
2018-08-13 15:59

Laziness is the mother of invention. :-)

Scroll to top
Annons:
ย